Dear Valued Member,
In the coming days and weeks, the federal government will begin distributing stimulus checks to qualifying households in the form of direct deposits or checks.
For most people, payments are automatic, and no further action is needed. This includes taxpayers who filed tax returns in 2018 and 2019 and most seniors and retirees. The IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center page is the best resource on this program, since the IRS is administering delivery of the economic stimulus money.
Members should be on the lookout for fraud and scams. Remember, the IRS will not call, text, email you or contact you on social media asking for personal or bank account information, including any information that might be related to the Economic Impact Payments. Also, watch out for emails with attachments or links claiming to have special information about economic impact payments or refunds. If you receive one, do not open it.
Here are a few other things to consider if you are expecting to receive a payment:
1) Direct deposit can help decrease the risk of fraud or stolen checks. The routing of funds via direct deposit will be based on account information related to your most recent tax returns. If your 2019 taxes have not been filed yet, your 2018 tax information will be used. If you did not use direct deposit when you filed your taxes, the IRS can still help you get direct deposit set up for a faster payment.
2) Set up direct deposits on the IRS website. The Treasury Department is in the process of developing a web-based portal so you can provide your banking information to the IRS online to receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.
Bookmark the IRS website and check back often so you can set up your direct deposit as soon as it is ready. And don’t forget to use your full 14-digit account number on IRS forms.
3) If you do get a paper stimulus check, you can deposit it using:
- Mobile deposit.Mobile Deposit is a service that allows a member to submit a check to Worcester Credit Union for deposit via a smartphone or tablet device using Worcester Credit Union’s mobile app. This is done by capturing images of the front and back of the check (via the camera on the device) and then submitting the image through the app. Checks must be endorsed including your signature and ‘for mobile deposit only’ to be accepted via mobile deposit.
- Our ATMs located at 520 West Boylston Street, Worcester MA are able to accept your deposits 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- DRIVE UP.The drive-up lanes are open at 520 West Boylston Street, Worcester MA during normal business hours to accept your deposits or cash your check. Check out our website WorcesterCU.comfor hours.
As always, but especially during this global pandemic, Worcester Credit Union’s employees are here to help you in any way. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us by phone at 508-853-9966 or via our website’s contact us form.
Thank you for your patience, loyalty and trust in us during this challenging time.